Taib Mahmud to retire and take over as Yang Di-Pertua Negeri Sarawak ?
1. Speculation that Taib is preparing to make way for a new leader has become more intense after head of state tenure was extended only until 28 Feb.
2. Taib Mahmud, 77, has held the Sarawak chief minister’s post for 33 years.
3. He will meet members of PBB supreme council on 8 Feb and all elected state BN members of Parliament and state assemblymen on 9 Feb.
4. He is expected to make an important announcement at the meeting and would leave it to the party’s decision making body to decide how it should be carried out.
5. Should Taib make his announcement to step aside, by procedure, “a caucus” will be chaired by Deputy President 1, Tan Sri Alfred Jabu to work out the transition plan.
6. Speculated Taib’s successors:
a. Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg, State housing and Tourism Minister, PBB Deputy President 2.
b. Tan Sri Adenan Satem, Former federal Natural Resources Minister